I was exhausted last night, but managed to have an hour of tossing and turning. For whatever reason, I woke up at 4am and couldn’t turn my mind off until 5am. Even though I didn’t have the best sleep, I still woke up before my alarm clock sounded. I didn’t have to work until a little later this morning, so I spent the extra time taking a long walk.
I was smart enough not to take the detour through the woods this time. It was already hot and steamy by 8am, so I was craving a cold smoothie when I arrived home. Before I left for my walk, I cleaned out the ice bin, meaning that there was a pretty good chance my freezer had not yet made any ice. To my excitement, there were eight ice cubes in the bin–just enough for a smoothie!
Unfortunately, I only had dirty spinach, so I had to improvise. In the end, it still turned out well, but wasn’t as voluminous as usual. Though I did make quite a mess in the blender. Things kind of…exploded. Because I didn’t use spinach in my mix, there wasn’t much to move around. Oops.
Double Chocolate Smoothie
- 1 heaping scoop chocolate protein powder
- 1 tablespoon Hershey’s special dark cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon xanthan gum
- 8 ice cubes
- 1/2 cup milk (I use Almond Breeze)
This afternoon, I took Maria, another girl that I babysit, to Hunt Valley Town Center to shop around before seeing a movie. We ventured into Ann Taylor Loft (well, I dragged Maria in there) after seeing a sale sign. I found several great items, but realized that my sister has my credit card. I don’t carry cash, so luckily for my wallet, I didn’t make any purchases.
We then went into Five Below (that place seems to be a favorite among the 10-and-under crowd), where I found this awesome book. I didn’t buy it, but I did skim through it. While it contained a lot information that I already know, I do think it would be an interesting read to keep around.
After walking around for a little longer, we saw the movie Monte Carlo. It was cute for a little girl, but was all too similar to The Lizzie McGuire movie. At least I wasn’t seeing this movie for the third time this summer.
When we arrived home, I suggested that Maria work on her summer reading. I had her read for about 20 minutes as well as complete two pages of her math packet. I run a tight ship. 🙂
My mom and younger siblings went to the beach last night, so my dad and I were on our own for dinner tonight. I couldn’t decide what to make, but eventually settled on an egg frittata. I’m glad I did because it was really good!
I wanted to use up the ingredients in our fridge; I ended up with a great combination.
Hot Dog and Vegetable Frittata
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup egg whites
- 4 turkey hot dogs
- 3 slices or ¼ cup cheese (I used low-fat provolone cheese)
- 4 cups cooked baby spinach
- ½ cup chopped red pepper
- ½ cup chopped orange pepper
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375° .
- Slice up the four hot dogs into bite-sized pieces. In a small skillet, lightly brown the hot dogs on high heat.
- In a large skillet, saute the chopped peppers and onions on medium heat. Drain all water from vegetables (especially spinach).
- If using sliced cheese, cut the slices into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites.
- Add all the spinach, peppers, onions, cheese, salt, and pepper to the bowl.
- Pour into a round, shallow dish.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or until the mixture is firm and lightly browned on top.
- Let it sit for 10 minutes, then serve.
It was so good that I went back for seconds. Or maybe thirds.
Now it’s time to go take care of the dishes and some to-dos!