When I felt like my Sunday afternoon was becoming a little too lazy, I decided to head into the kitchen to do some baking. I saw two overly ripe bananas in my fridge and knew exactly what I was going to make. Two Sundays ago, I baked a coconut banana bread loaf. Though it was delicious, I had a few tweaks in mind after making it.
Since it was nearing dinner time and Brian and I were the only ones home, I thought making a coconut-inspired meal would be a great way to waste time while the bread was baking. What do you get when you combine coconut and chicken? Coconut-crusted chicken!
- 1lb chicken breast
- 2 eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup Panko breadcrumbs
- ½ cup shredded coconut
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
2. In a shallow bowl, combine the Panko breadcrumbs and shredded coconut. In a separate shallow bowl, slightly beat the eggs and add the salt and pepper.
3. Cut the chicken into strips. Dredge the strips in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs mixture.
4. Place the strips on the cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Though the chicken turned out well and was tasty, I couldn’t eat very much. Some of my wisdom teeth are coming in and they’re painful–I feel like a teething baby! It was really uncomfortable to chew, but Brian and my mom liked the coconutty chicken.
After dinner, I took the banana loaf out of the oven and let it cool for about an hour. When I made it a few weeks ago, it wasn’t dry, but it wasn’t super moist either. I did a few things differently this time around, resulting in an incredibly tasty and gooey loaf.
I added additional apple sauce and underbaked it. The key to creating super moist and doughy breads and cookies is to bake it 95% through, then allow it to continue to bake in the pan while it cools. The banana bread turned out just the way I wanted, though I have a secret. I actually don’t like banana bread. At all. I love bananas, but I find that the flavor is just too pungent when they are baked into desserts.
Banana Bread Remix
- 1¼ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup shredded coconut, plus more for topping
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract (optional)
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients then add the remaining ingredients, except the bananas and chocolate chips.
3. In a another bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until no large lumps remain.
4. Add the mashed bananas and chocolate chips to the large bowl and combine.
5. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan then top with remaining shredded coconut.
6. Bake in the oven for 50 to 55 minutes. (It should be set, but still gooey.) Let it cool for one hour then serve with your favorite toppings!
I’m off to go eat ibuprofen like candy! 🙂