I love Sundays that are spent relaxing, instead of spent running errands and doing hours of homework. I met up with a friend this afternoon to go for a walk and then came home to find Brian and Ali playing lacrosse outside. I joined in with them, but Brian was mostly just throwing the ball at us (we played with a tennis ball so it didn’t hurt too bad). After he deemed us horrible at the sport, we switched to riding bikes.
Shortly after we came inside, the sky looked threatening and a few raindrops began to fall. The perfect opportunity then presented itself; two very ripe bananas were staring at me and I had remembered reading a recipe for banana bread that I was dying to try.
I adapted this banana bread from Erika’s recipe and it turned out fantastically!
Coconut-Infused Banana Bread
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup shredded coconut, plus more for topping
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons melted honey
- 1 tablespoon coconut extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
1. Preheat the oven to 350° and spray a loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine all dry ingredients then add the remaining ingredients, except the bananas.
3. In a another bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until no large lumps remain.
4. Add the mashed bananas to the large bowl and combine.
5. Pour the mixture into the loaf pan then top with remaining shredded coconut.
6. Bake in the oven for 50 to 55 minutes, or until a fork comes out clean. Let it cool for 15 minutes then serve with your favorite toppings!
Note: I used 1/4 cup Egg Beaters and 1 egg. I baked the loaf for 53 minutes, but I am going to bake it for only 50 minutes next time. Mine came out moist, but I like it a bit underbaked.
You should probably go to the grocery store and buy bananas now so that you can make this by the weekend. 🙂